Having Self Control in a World of Indulgence
This can be easier said than done. As adults we don’t have anyone telling us to stop eating, or that we have had enough.
We believe having this freedom is a blessing, but should not be an excuse to have no boundaries in our lives. In the scripture 1 Corinthians 10:23 The Bible states all things are lawful but all things are not helpful. In other words just because we can do something does not mean we should!
Food can be a bondage like any other addiction, and can sometimes be as harmful. 1 Corinthians 9:27 states “But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
This has been an area of weakness for me. I need prayer to have self control in my everyday life. I love to eat food that tastes good and sometimes have a really hard time stopping myself from over-eating. We must realize Gluttony is a sin.
If you are still battling with this area of self control when it comes to food, you are not alone and the battle is real. It is a decision of the will and operating in self control when the food is in front of you.
It is simple to say I won’t over eat until the temptation is in front of you. Here are a few pointers to help you exercise self-control in a world of indulgence.
- Pray(this is the most helpful for me)
- Stand on scripture or a quote you can put in sight. example(Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- Tell others your goals to help keep you accountable
- Keep the foods that tempt you the most out of the house.
- Keep the healthy foods stocked
- Drink plenty of water(sometimes you are really just thirsty when you eat)
- Stop and think, why am I eating? Am I really hungry? Bored?Stressed?
- Eat a salad or nutrient dense foods first and you may be satisfied.
To Your Health,